Friday, July 27, 2007

SPF: Rainbows


Color, originally uploaded by scoobers1.

This week Miss Kristine said she would like us to show her a rainbow.

This rainbow sits, neglected, on the easel in my dining room. It beckons but I simply ignore it since the last disaster. When I get over the hideousness of the thing I created I shall give it another shot. Until then, the easel, the palette... my rainbow of colors shall remain an accent piece, unused.

Since reading the subject of this week's assignment, I have a song stuck in my head and it will not go away. It's not completely unrelated because the original version does mention rainbows. However, it's the angry version that I have stuck in my mind, for some reason.
Remember those clapping games we girls used to play at recess?
Bo-Bo-Ski-Watten-Tatten? Miss Mary Mack? Miss Lucy (had a steamboat)? Yes, I know you are all singing them in your heads now. You're welcome.

We used to sing one at the YMCA that went something like this:

Say-Say oh play mate
Come out and play with me.
And bring your dollies three,
Climb up my apple tree.
Slide down my rainbow,
Into my cellar door,
And we'll be jolly friends
Forever more. More. One, two, three, four!

We used to follow it up with this little ditty,

Say say oh enemy
Come out and fight with me
And bring your pistols three
Climb up my thorny tree

Slide down my razor blade
Into my dungeon door
And we'll be enemies
Forevermore - More - More, One, two, three, four!

Nice, eh? Did you play?

8 comments:

Moi said...

Say Say my enemy (that's how we sang it) ... thanks so much for that.

I like your rainbow. I played!

Melanie Marie said...

Ohh, you paint? Nice!

Suzanne R said...

Neat idea to use paint tubes as a rainbow!

I come from a later generation (nearing 60) so we didn't sing the exact same songs and I can't recall the ones we did sing. LOL! Yours sound very catchy.

Thanks for stopping by.

kimmyk said...

We said say say oh playmate...

I can not believe I forgot about them and now I can't seem to get this out of my head along with the hand slap motion thing I got going on. My daughters asleep I might have to wake her up to play with me. I'll probably have to come back here because sheesh it's been so long I've forgotten the words. How fun though to reread all this. It's stuck in my head now...damnit.

Okay...now, that's one pretty rainbow. I wanna see somethin' you've painted.

I'm still slapping my hands here...just so you know.

Teena in Toronto said...

Very cool interpretation on the theme!

Thanks for stopping by mine :)

Jenni said...

You were a warped, twisted child.

Perhaps that's why we got along? ;)

Nice SPF. I love paints, even thought I don't have time to use them anymore. I hope you get back to easel soon.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on the next creation! Thanks for the comment!

Rebekah said...

Hey, you left a comment on my post a few weeks ago, well actually you left it for my mom. She just got her blog and I was trying to encourage her to write. I relayed your message and she finally has her first post.
http://mom-of-five.blogspot.com/2007/08/little-about-me-part-i.html
I sort of remember that during WWII they had different woman live with them to help with $$, but I learned that Judy Garland's cousin was one of the women. How cool is that.
So I want to return the favor to you and tell your Mom to get her rear in gear and start bloggin'